Saturday, July 3, 2010

Can't find my cliche clique

I'm feeling alone. I don't seem to fit into the normal stereotypes of Christian conservative women, and I sure am not a liberal either.

I don't organize bake sales and I don't take part in sewing circles. In fact I can't sew at all. My house never looks like a "Proverbs 31 women" lives in it. I am boisterous and proud of myself when I cook something from scratch. And I'm keeping a plant alive for the first time in my life.

I find myself identifying with the hippy liberal types around me; I homebirth, don't vaccinate, didn't circumcise my son, I buy organic whenever I can afford it, and I pretty much never cut my kids hair. Although, the similarities come to a screeching halt when spanking comes up. But my goodness, that is an issue all of its own. Check back for that.

So where do I fit?

I wonder if I am actually not alone at all. This falls into a similar category as the political "silent majority" which we Christians are often considered. Are we, being polar opposites of liberals, actually a dichotomy? Are we so far in extremes that we have gone completely around the circle and overlapped?

I have officially began wondering if we don't have everything in common with our liberal counterparts, with the exception of faith. Perhaps we are one and the same in many senses, while those in the middle are the outliers.

In many respects I think that ours and our hippy friend's life choices are the same, just with a different foundation. We all want to be happy. To feel love. To keep the earth healthy (as He created it!) Our choices come out of faith and longing to return to God's will. While their choices are based in returning to nature.

To what group do I belong?

1 comment:

  1. You belong in my clique!! You sound like me! Ive thought the same things! I often feel I don't fit 100% with either crowd, but then I realise, God sees me, knows me, loves me, and thats all that matters. Then as I get to know people, I see there are more of us out there, but have been behind an "image" that would lead you to believe otherwise!

    Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete