Thursday, April 16, 2009

Grouping

Before I get going, please excuse all the pop-culture references. I know you can read about that stuff anywhere on the web so why come here for it too...but just bare with me.

I'm not quite sure why this bent me so out of shape, but it did. I enjoy watching the Duggar family's show 18 and counting, which is basically what it sounds like. There are 18 children in the family,with a plan for more in the future, hence "18 and counting". So, when mid-conversation, the Duggar's were grouped with the Octomom (if THAT needs an explanation, you need to push the rock off of yourself) I was upset. As silly as that sounds.

I think the reason this began to pick at me, is two-fold.
A) The Duggar's have it under control. They have the love, discipline, and funds to support their family. The only chaos you'll notice is based on the sheer number of people in the house, not by any mismanagement. (In fact this is a HUGE reason why I ~heart~ the Dugger's. They are child trainers, not child managers) I'm also a huge fan of the manner in which they are guiding their children to walk in truth. Meanwhile.... Octomom, well, isn't these things. The only thing they have in common is children. Oh, and there is a mom involved.
B) Why are people passing judgment just because they do not understand the mindset behind the procreation? (little laugh to myself. One is procreation and the other is con-creation.)

~wait.
Did you notice that I did the very thing I'm frustrated about? I noticed. (Regular gumshoe aye?) So now I have re-directing my frustration at myself. I don't understand Octomom, thus, (and in poor fashion)I judged her.

This other person is strange to me. I can't wrap my head around the "why's?" of her situation. So when my first efforts were unsuccessful, I found solace in knowing I could just write her off as "crazy" and Phew! problem solved.

I'm shocked by my self. Wasn't there some sandal wearing, miracle guy in history who warned me about this? What was the answer to the problem? (Come on little brain...get there!)

Oh that's right. ~LOVE~ I must love people as I love myself. And I love myself a lot. A real lot. I'm pretty cool. (sorry. I'm done) So it seems I have quite a task at hand! Love Octomom as I love myself.
Ok... I am seriously not there yet. But I'm working on it.

But thats not it. My brain keeps this train rolling. How else am I just blindly leading my own heart into shackles? What other fashion has this manifested itself in society? (Well at least I can find comfort knowing WHO is leading the deception) How about racism? Isn't this at the heart of racist behavior? The formula seems the same.
If you cannot understand where someone is coming from and their actions/thinking make no sense to you, than simply find the most obvious reason to discard their value. For Octomom, my solution is "crazy", for racists it is "superiority".

The bottom line is we have been taught better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment