Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Little Things

Find a cause. I don't mean a "save the whales" cause. I mean, find a 'cause for JOY' everyday of your life. Appreciate the smallest of gifts and the big ones will follow suit and be multiplied.

Today I flew a Kite with my son. We sang "Lets go fly a Kite" from Mary Poppins, and laughed as I couldn't manage the crazy packaging, but my 3 year old could. ("I did it for you Mom!") It was hilarious to watch him learn the to operate his plastic Buzz Light year Kite, that cost me an entire dollar. Honest to goodness fun. It was very amusing to simply observe this sweet boy, who is such a fabulous creation and such a fabulous gift, figuring out the inner workings of a simple Kite.

Photobucket

I could have easily past this moment by without appreciating it. I could have been annoyed that kids toys are so difficult for adult sized hands to open. (Why is that anyway?) Instead I am thankful that this experience was made available for me to enjoy. I surely would have appreciated this experience far too late, and wished I had taken a moment to thank God, while actually living the experience.

On another note... We lost the Kite. There were tears coming down as the handle went up, and there were power lines nearby to poor salt it the wound. My lesson in appreciation was coupled with a beginner's lesson in loss for my son. I think it was borderline traumatic for the poor guy. We talked about taking responsibility for your actions, as well as not placing blame. (I had explained why not to let go prior to the actual release. But curiosity killed that cat and the release was intentional) Its a hard lesson for a little guy to learn that you are the cause of your own disappointment. ("Mommy. Next time, when I fly my NEW buzz kite, I'm not going to let go")

I very much appreciate the duality of our little trek, because we both learned a lesson in thankfulness. The voice of God does not bellow. We must learn to absorb all the disciplines HE is providing us, to live in the fashion He designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment