Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The power of words

A constant topic between my Husband and I is, What does it mean to be a man? What about a Christian Man? Since this is obviously not a place where I no experience, I wonder, How can a women best support her man? An extremely good book on this topic was written by Debbie Pearl. Created to be His Help Meet Don't go the rest of your marriage without reading this!

Since this often leads to questions (and hopefully answers!) that deal with the very structure of humanity, family, and human interaction in general, the talks get very involved.

This has been on my mind again today because I (accidentally) overheard an outburst from the female half of a married couple. "You are the worst mistake I've ever made. Do you understand that marrying you was the biggest mistake of my life?

Honestly this hurt me to hear. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to be told this. How horribly worthless this man must have felt! I'm guessing he must have felt like a failure in every aspect of his life since his #1 person utterly rejected him. What could have happened to get this married couple to this point? And is it all that uncommon? That is the scary part.

Unfortunately, I think that it will take a HUGE effort on this woman's part to repair the damage she did with just these few words. The power of words is scary.

Being aware of what my words are actually saying is something that I struggle with. I frequently say something, with the intent of my words meaning one things, but as soon as they hit the eardrum of the recipient, I can tell my words were taken completely differently then I meant for them to be taken. I think this is particularly true in regards to my husband. I'm fairly certain I could crush his world in a few sentences. How horrible is that?! I have no idea what those sentences would be, and hurting him makes me sick to my stomach. I loathe the possibility that this might be true. But I think it is true. Just like its probably true for the outburst couple. It is certainly true in reverse. I would be more than a complete mess if my husband exercised the verbal power he possesses.

The responsibility given to me is great. I'm scared of it actually.

Babe, I'm sorry for anything I'm responsible for, that did not build you.

No comments:

Post a Comment