Friday, November 6, 2009

The Cupcake

While eating a cupcake I offered a bite to my husband and a bite to my son. My husband took the bite, and told me how awesome it was. (They are. I made them). But my son turned the bite down, hoping to get an entire cupcake to himself.

Lesson time!
We explained how his choice was selfish and if he had appreciated what had been given to him, then he may have gotten more. You don't always get more, but sometimes you do.
This was a really hard pill for him to swallow.
"But I'll be thankful now!" he insisted.
Nope. sorry, you should have taken what you were offered.

I began to think about how this same scenario would play out in his adult life. God often gives us a little, and if we are thankful for the little things, He is willing to give us more. We have proved ourselves faithful.

My friend often likens this to when God provided a little extra money for their family. On one occurrence, a little extra was provided for them, and they quickly squandered it. As I understand it, it was quite a while before any "extra" was sent their way. They had proved themselves un-thankful.

1 comment: